The process of claiming and creating a Google My Business listing is free and very simple to do. Below we’ll walk you through how to claim and create a Google My Business listing for your company or merge duplicate Google My Business listings into one.
Claim or Merge Duplicate Google My Business Listings
How to Claim Your Google My Business Listing
If a Google My Business listing already appears in search results. This is how you would claim ownership over it.
- On your computer, open Google Maps
- In the search bar, enter the business name.
- Click the business name and choose the correct one.
- Click Claim this business > Manage now.
- To choose a different business, click I own or manage another business.
- Select a verification option, and follow the on-screen steps.
How to Add Your Google My Business Listing
If your business is not already listed with Google My Business. You can add it by following the directions below.
1. Go to Google.com/business
2. Click on “Manage Now”
3. Enter the name of your company
As you type the name of your company, businesses with similar names will appear. Choose your company or location when you see it. If your company name or location is not listed, you’ll need to create a new one.
4. Enter your business’ address
Type in the full address of your business. Check the box if you deliver goods and services to your customers.
5. Drop the pin
Move the marker to the exact location of your business
6. Enter your business category
7. Enter your contact information
8. Get verified
Now that your Google My Business listing has been claimed, you’ll need to verify it before it can be public to Google searchers.
You can verify your Google Business listing by:
- Requesting a postcard at your business address
- Requesting a phone call or text
- Instant verification – Get instantly verified using Google Search Console
- Video verification – Get verified by having a video call with a Google My Business specialist
How to Remove or Merge Duplicate Google My Business Listings
A duplicate Google My Business listing is when there are multiple listings of your company (same name, same address, and same phone number) within the Google My Business platform.
Unless you meet Google’s guidelines on having multi-department listings, such as Walmart, Walmart Vision Center, and Walmart Pharmacy, or having individual practitioner listings, like for each doctor at your practice or each lawyer at your firm, all duplicate listings for your company would be violating the guidelines for representing your business on Google.
Violating these terms of service could result in penalties and your listing taken down.
How to merge duplicate Google My Business listings into one listing
Ensure that the duplicate listing’s address matches your business’ address exactly.
If the addresses match:
Contact Google to request that they merge the two listings. Use the general Google My Business contact form.
If the addresses do not match:
Use the suggest an edit feature in Google Maps to indicate that the location in error does not exist.
How you can remove a duplicate location
1. Sign into your Google My Business account
2. Go to the duplicate locations section
3. Click on the location that you wish to remove
4. Click “Remove Location”
You’ll need to do this part for every duplicate listing you have on the list.
Your Google My Business Listing is Good for Your Local SEO
Your Google My Business listing is more than just a directory resource. It’s an essential component to your local SEO strategy. Potential customers can learn more about your business, read reviews, see the latest news, promotions, or offers, and get directions to your location.
By keeping your listing accurate, you’re helping Google and customers learn more about you. And this can lead to higher website traffic and more customers.