The weather is getting warmer. Flowers are starting to bloom. Yep, it is the best time of year… spring! However, that could be bad news for your web-based business as an increasing numbers of people tend spend time outdoors, away from their computers. One way to combat the declining number of web users is to do a little spring cleaning… and we are not talking about your home!
Keeping your website fresh and inviting is paramount this time of year when every visit is magnified. Your site can get stale and outdated if you do not clean it up periodically. There are plenty of things you can do keep your online presence as fresh as the season. Check out these invigorating ideas to give your site a boost and entice potential customers to do business with you.
1. Give your homepage a facelift. Are your banners getting a little boring? Are the images and graphics a little outdated? Have you been using the same text for years? Spice up your banners by adding a new look or launch a new web-only promotion. Help your site spring into life by replacing outdated images with new graphics and swapping out old keywords with more effective options. Take the time to write a new introduction to your site that details all of your new additions.
2. Keep your customer testimonials and reviews current.
3. Add a new section filled with resources, information, and maybe even some special deals for your customers. For example, if you own a home decor business, offer decorating tips and advice. Show people how to decorate on a budget or how to redecorate with things they already own. By providing useful information and resources along with your products, you are a giving people a reason to keep coming back. This is how you build trust with your visitors and increase your sales.
4. Remove dead links and update product information. Nothing is more annoying to a potential customer than visiting a site and clicking on dead links or getting outdated information. Make sure to test all of your links and spruce up content with up-to-date information!
5. Get blogging! If you haven’t caught on to the blogging craze check out blogging sites that offer free information, such as Blogger and WordPress. This can help you improve your search engine ranking while expanding your network.
6. Update your product line. Add some fresh new products and sell the old ones at a discount. Have a Spring Sale and liven up your sales. Keep those customers coming back for more deals and exciting new product launches.
7. Create a “What’s New” section. This keeps visitors informed with current updates and what is coming in the near future… plus, it provides them with a reason to come back to see what’s new.
8. Bring your site to life. Research the colors on your website as you may have the opportunity to inject some new life into your business by simply adjusting the colors on your site.
9. Ask for feedback. Put a short survey on the site and ask visitors what they would like to see, what type of products they are looking for, and what special offers interest them the most. Soliciting this type of information directly from users could have a positive impact on your business. If you budget allows, offer participants a small gift for answering the questions or raffle off a larger prize with one lucky winner chosen at random. (You could then highlight the winner in the “What’s New” section.)
10. Reevaluate your goals. Review your business plan and write down new goals. Be sure to learn from your experiences – both good and bad – and improve your plan for success.
Spring is finally upon us with a sense of renewal and revitalization. The same is true for your web-based business. Take the time to do a little spring cleaning on your website and the end result will be a fresh, more exciting site that users will want to visit on a regular basis.